Friday, October 28, 2005

Breakfast Menu

I got a forward in the morning from someone about different Indian Breakfasts. It must have been written by a Mallu, coz the first Breakfast mentioned is the Kerala Breakfast and it starts like this

‘Kerala breakfast is adjudged as the 'best breakfast of the world' by some. ’

There were only a couple of items mentioned there, but when you have not had breakfast and read about some of your favorite dishes, it sure makes your mouth water. Being a Mallu myself, and since I am going home on a vacation for a week I thought I’d list out some of the things I’d like to have when I am home this time. My breakfast menu is influenced by me being a Christian and a Kochi /Trissur family.

‘Puttu with Kadala curry’ I have Puttu with Beef Curry, Papadam, and Banana, but Kadala Curry is my favorite.

Appam with Chicken/Mutton stew If you are in Trissur and it is a Sunday, do not miss out on this, you will find ladies outside their houses making and selling Appam (you have to make your own curry) for the early-morning Church goers on their way back home.

Idiyappam is another type of appam, and I like it with coconut milk and sugar.

Kappa, Meen Curry (Tapioca and Fish Curry), this is a bit too spicy to be having early in the morning, but it’s just too good to pass.

Kappa Biriyani, I have no idea how the name came around. It is just a Kappa and Beef cooked together. I had actually not heard about it when I was in Kerala, and got to know about it only after coming to Bangalore. But everyone else from Kerala seems to have had it before.

I remember eating ‘Muthira , Thenga peera’ ( Muthira is some kind of gram that you give horses and grated coconut), I love it and that would definitely be in my list.

And now for my all time favorite
‘Kanji’ even thought ‘Kanji and payar’ is a hot favorite, Kanji with Porkum Kaaya ( Pork and plantain) wins hands down. I guess it comes from my mother’s side; it is a must if you go to Trissur during the ‘Perunal’ season.

Now that the breakfast menu for the week is set, I have to call up mom and send it over to her. I don’t know about the Kappa breakfasts because the breakfast is not made only for me. It might be the usual Uppuma, Idili, Dosa, vada, chapatti or if dad had gone on one of his shopping ‘Explorations’, egg, Bacon and sausages for breakfast.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dinesh Babuji said...

LOL..Kanji &'Maanga-Chamandi' for me please!

2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home